by Phoenix attorney Christopher A. Combs, partner with Combs Law Group, P.C.

Question: We live in a nice, quiet neighborhood in Glendale. Two months ago one of our neighbors sold their house to a young unmarried couple who constantly have loud parties. In addition, they and their friends walk around their house and yard with little or no clothes on, and my 7 year old son has made several comments to me about this behavior. We have called the police on several occasions but, except for telling these neighbors to turn their stereo down, the police do nothing. Needless to say, there is now animosity between us and our new neighbors and we are thinking about moving. Is there anything else that we can do?

Answer: If the conduct of your neighbors amounts to what the law calls a nuisance, you may be able to get a court order prohibiting this conduct by your neighbors. A nuisance in this situation would be conduct which is offensive to reasonable neighbors in this particular neighborhood. You should get photographs of any offensive conduct, affidavits of neighbors, and copies of any police reports. You should then contact an attorney to determine if you are entitled to court protection.